Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Dart League King

I'm well into my new book, The Dart League King. I once heard that all good books are either mirrors or windows, meaning that they make you see deeper and clearer into your own experiences or show you a whole new world (a dazzling place I never knew!). Many books I read serve as mirrors, with aspects of characters reminding me of myself or people I know and underscore and heighten traits of those real people. This book is clearly a window. From the first page, I was hurled head over heels into world of darts, binge drinking, cocaine, sex, homicide, and overall madness. I watched with utter revulsion as the normalest-seeming character watched a girl die in front of him with no attempt to save her. There is not a single character in the book that I would want to be friends with or talk to. They're all the sort of people whose friend requests on Facebook I would never accept. They are all stupid and psychopathic and selfish and cruel and debauched. Yet, in a weird way, I almost love them. Each of them has a redeeming characteristic, making them profoundly human. They seem almost trapped. Their realism is accentuated because the author writes in a different style for each of them, as if they were simply thinking (though in the 3rd person). This book is simply crazy good.

No comments:

Post a Comment