What's more romantic to a girl than the proverbial knight in shining armour, the glorious guy who would literally risk his life to save his damsel in distress, riding in majestically and attractively? Not much of anything actually. (I wonder if the resemblence to the English "armour" and the French "amour" (love) (which was adopted into English to mean "illict love affair" a.k.a. scandal) is coincidental.) I'll admit, I first realized that I loved Ron when he was astride the knight in that Wizard's Chess game first year and he brilliantly commanded the game, finally, heroically sacrificing himself for us. It was so romantic and I was so mortified that my beloved might be hurt that I almost undid his sacrifice by running off my square to hold him and tend to him! It's amazing how things that seemed important, like winning the game to stop Snape, lose all their importance when a loved one in in danger. As I felt my own distress, I realized how much he meant to me, though my eleven-year-old naive self did not recognize I was in love for almost 3 years when I desperately wanted my knight of shining amour to escort this damsel to the ball.
D'Artagnan in Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers is both literally and figuratively a knight in shining armour as he rides off to risk life and limb to because he was bidden to by the woman he likes. Amazingly, he was able to convince his three best friends to accompany him without even needing to tell them anything about where they were going! I wish Ron and Harry listened to me like that! If they would just listen to me, we all would be right! Currently, our adventures are journeying to London per the instructions of D'Artagnan's crush Madame Bonacieux, and already, have been beset by misadventures and duels. Still, the fierce, loyal love of the French knight of shining amour is the most attractive piece of this saga.
No comments:
Post a Comment