Friday, September 30, 2011

Stepping Out of Character

One of the things I find the most amusing about this book (The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas) is the diction. Rather than saying, for example, "The cooking food smelled good," Dumas says that the food was "very grateful to the olfactory nerves." Hahahahahaha. Although I am a firm believer that sophisticated vocabulary elevates both written and spoken word, Dumas sometimes takes it over the top, which I find quite amusing. 

(Out of character: I can't stop thinking about the fact that tonight is Senior Night for the band. Soon ends the happiest chapter of my life. Tonight, I will again take up the persona of Hermione Granger, in the form of my traditional Regulator shirt. To clarify, the idea to use that name on my shirt came first and this blog came second, caused by my decision to use that on my shirt. After I take off that tear-stained shirt tonight, I'm not going to be able to look at this blog again in the same way. The era of Harry Potter, the essence of my childhood, has ended, and the era of band, the essence of my high school years, is drawing rapidly to a close. The connection of my childhood best friend and role model, Hermione, who is so like me that writing in her character is no challenge whatsoever, with the emotions of Senior Night will create an extremely powerful memento of my teenage years. I am seventeen now, the age at which Hermione is immortalized. For the past eight or so years, when asked to describe myself I have often compared myself to her. Looking past her grades into her actual character, the similarities are uncanny. Once, I wrote out all the similarities. They filled a page. Before every birthday, I would read the book pertaining to the age I was about to turn. There is no book for eighteen. And so will end another chapter of my life, as I step out of character for the last time on my eighteenth birthday. I don't know why I'm thinking about this now. I guess Senior Night has just got me thinking about endings. The publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows signaled the end of my childhood. Senior Night heralds the end of band. And my eighteenth birthday will force me to step out of character for the last time. I apologize for the rambling digression, but I think a slight indication of what this character means to me will increase the impact of my blog. But this was really more for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment